Monday, November 4, 2013

Why I'm Not Color-blind: A Testimony from Rachel

Hello Guys and Gals!  Two weeks ago we had Geoff from Northern Arizona University (NAU) come and speak to us about multiethnic relationships.  Rachel is is our guest blogger for the topic and has openly shared her testimony in this area.  I encourage you to reflect on your experiences as you read Rachel's story.

"It honored me to have Geoff Gentry from NAU speak at Charge two weeks ago.  He and I have shared many experiences over the years, so it was great to share UNM with him.  I especially appreciated that he told a lot of his story in growing to value God’s multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, Kingdom.  I am on a similar journey in coming to value multi-ethnicity, so I thought I’d share it with you.

"I spent my childhood in the mostly white context of Midwest small towns.  When I was 13, my family moved to Arizona and my experience became much more ethnically diverse.  This is the first time I remember encountering issues of race.  However, no one really helped me interpret these encounters, so I didn’t handle them very well and I was left mostly confused rather than transformed.

"In middle school, I was assigned a debate project where I had to be anti-affirmative action.  During my closing statement I used a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. that one day people will 'be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character,' as support for being completely color-blind. My classmates of color erupted in protest.  And for years I had no idea why they were upset. 

"In high school, my best friend was Mexican-American.  She prioritized spending time with her family and respecting her parents above anything else.  Many times she wouldn’t come over to my house, eat my mom’s food, or stay late because she needed to be at home for a meal or some other task.  My parents were offended by this, and though I was too shy to say so, I was sometimes offended too.  But it was just because I didn’t understand how her family was different from mine.
In college, I was a part of InterVarsity and at the time our chapter contained mostly white students.  I went back to not having to talk much about race or ethnicity.

"Thankfully, my sophomore year God gave me the opportunity to attend an InterVarsity Urban Project in St. Louis.  I attended an incredible multi-ethnic church.  For the first time, I worshiped in at least 5 different languages.  During the project, we received teaching on racial reconciliation and social justice issues in the US.  God began to reveal to me His desire to bring healing, justice, and reconciliation to the places of pain that many people of color have experienced in the US.  It broke my heart and I began to fall in love with what God loves.

"I started to love trying different types of food and getting to hear people pray in other languages.  I had further experiences at the Urbana conference, in China, in multi-ethnic literature classes, and at other urban projects that shaped me.  My senior year I had the gift of a non-Christian Navajo roommate who took me to visit her home and the Navajo Nation Fair. I learned SO MUCH from her.

"I had been raised to be “color-blind”: to only see people’s characters and not emphasize the differences in people’s appearances, especially in terms of the color of their skin.  It was an unwritten rule in my family that race was a negative topic to discuss.  While I’m grateful that my parents raised me to not be racist and to not treat anyone negatively because of the color of their skin, it wasn’t enough for me to stay there.     

"I had to continue on the journey.  I began to learn that ignoring people’s ethnic background devalues some of the most important parts of their stories and identities.  My aversion for talking about race or ethnicity had prevented me from understanding the experiences of people around me.  And my denial that I had an ethnicity or culture myself as a white American kept me from celebrating how God has made me and from being a part of racial reconciliation.
If you are white person who has come from a similar story to mine, I encourage you to engage rather than shy away from the topic of multi-ethnicity, even if it’s confusing and uncomfortable for you.  I’d love to talk about what would be good next steps for you to take in your journey.  I first recommend reading Being White by Doug Schaupp and Paula Harris.  You can borrow it from me.  It’s awesome.    

"If you are a person of color, thank you for extending grace to white brothers and sisters in Christ as they stumble along on this journey.  I would encourage you to continue to seek racial reconciliation and to let Jesus work through the gift of your ethnic background.  He wants to use you for something great.  How will you pursue that? I’d love to talk with you about next steps in your journey as well. 

"It has been a painful, awkward, frightening journey for me these past few years as I’ve sought to grow in my understanding of how God sees ethnicity and how He wants me to act in response to that.  And I still have a LONG way to go.  But the journey has already brought such richness to my life! And I’m committed to continuing by the grace of God."


No comments:

Post a Comment